Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Over a year and some growth later...

I enrolled in school. I finally got up, stalled for as long as i could waiting for my pants to dry, and then ventured out into an overcast day to the local college. I followed the signs to the right parking lot, followed the path to the right building and didn't even have to wait in line. A student volunteer asked me what she could do for me, and i seriously considered the question. I replied "I want to be a student. How do I do that?"
She handed me a form, I filled it out and exchanged it for a student id and a test date.
easy enough.
The entire time i was there i had a tightness around my ribs, building like someone had stuck a huge key into my back and was winding me up. When the bored volunteer handed me an id number and flashed a half hearted smile, someone let the key go and something seated someplace around my sternum began to hum. I thanked her and stepped outside, sliding my student id into my wallet, between my expired bank cards.
Once outside, the cold, damp air seemed to stick to my skin, soaking in. I felt a childlike joy i hadn't felt at this magnitude since actually being a child. I walked to the theater and smelled the sawdust and contained emotion. I wanted to leap all over the planters and climb the trees, to whoop and shout and skip and sing because this grey obstacle had become a stepping stone, a fountain of youth and all of the drab buildings were suddenly filled with life and vitality.
I take my assessments next week. Hopefully I can brush up on my algebra before then. Although, to be perfectly honest, I know about as much algebra now, as I did when i took a class for six hours a week. Which is why i took the class three times.

No comments: